Sunday, August 16, 2009

The virtual mop and bucket

No, this isn't a post about cleaning up the attrition that was the festival a few weeks ago. Although, dude, I could go on and on about that week.

One of my activities as Ms. Information for the Geologic Podcast is comments moderation. It's unfortunate that we can't leave the comments open and free. There's a serious twit migration every so often and it's hella difficult to mop up after the spammers track muddy URLS all over the place.

They get more wily all the time, these spammers. My guess is that they're actual workers since there a double-Recaptcha feature on the site. SOMEone has to do all that login. Tedious job, that.

Once in a while, I'm amused by the attempt to look like a real comment. One of their tricks is to cut-and-paste a previously-posted comment and attach their slimy info to it. And then sometimes, their "comments" are just stupidly hilarious.

To wit:

"Well, so nice post haah! Your mind help me so much! I’m not sure if you mind the thing I’ll do here, Im online seller for the Ed Hardy, and also the pretty UGG Boots were my products, alright, seems I have to make the apologys for my Jordan Shoes, they are the moste hot item on my site, are u interest in them?"

Spam-tastic.

1 comment:

CarrieP said...

I find it kind of cute how hard the spammers are trying.

Then again, I'm not the one who has to clean it all up.

Spammers are kind of like 3-year olds that way, funny when they are not your problem.