Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight savings time is one less hour. End of story.

When does a thing cease to be a challenge and begin to be a problem? How can you know the difference when you're smack in the middle of the thing?

There are marathons and triathlons and these demand focus and determination. I've never participated in more than a 10K, but I imagine there's a wall that some people manage to break through. How do they know it's only a wall and not an immovable object?

I could decide I'm in a situation that's reducing me to the worst stress I've ever known and therefore unhealthy. This means I'd have to walk away. The way I'm wired, this only looks like quitting. Or I could decide to muscle through and hope I'll turn the wall into sandstone instead of just banging my head on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Like any situation, if the positives don't outweigh the negatives, then you're missing out on an opportunity where it's the opposite...because you're devoting all your time to this. If you were on Wall Street right now, you'd probably be broke.

gwen said...

Oh dear. Someone is overworked.

My unsolicited advice:

Decide, from a rational place, what you need. Then tell the person who needs to know, so that you get it (presumably a client?).

And - this is the important one - keep your sense of humor. All of this will be very funny. Soon. I promise. Maybe even now.

Hug,
G

Anonymous said...

That wall never turns to sandstone, so stop banging your pretty head.

Honey that choice would not be considered quitting.

Don't walk away - walk on.


- cupcake